It has been rather quiet on this site for a while. You can all guess what the main reason for that is. There were a lot of things going on in my life in 2016 and 2017 but this post is not about that. Since September 2017, I have had more time for my personal projects again. As I’d like to present them in due course, I have also been working on my website again.
In the next days, I will be switching the back-end from Wordpress to hugo, a popular static site generator. What kind of advantages does this have for me?
- All the material is constantly under version control and no separate backup pipeline for the website is required.
- I can write articles and work on other parts of the website offline.
- Without database, the website can be migrated to specialized hosts that are cheaper and faster.
- No more Wordpress updates. Those are rather tedious but necessary.
The downsides are:
- The RSS link will most likely change. If you are still interested in updates from me, please adjust your RSS reader. The new RSS feed will be in the footer.
- Comments will be lost but there weren’t many anyway.